Thursday, October 15, 2009

aloha

And now for something completely different... (or not)


I've been intrigued by ribbon leis for awhile. My friend in high school used to dance hula and would make leis and dresses for dance performances. Years later, when I was working in a theatrical costume shop, I was going through the bin of trims and found these coils of rickrack that I eventually figured out were hand-sewn ribbon leis.

What can I say? I like crafts where ordinary materials are transformed into something different and take on new shapes and textures. I just attended a wedding in Maui and made these leis for the soon-to-be married couple. I was kind of worried that they wouldn't get done in time, but I was still on some alternate time zone and popped out of bed at 7 a.m. (rare for me) to finish these on the patio of the hotel room. I had a view of the ocean! The sun rose above the mountains and I had to move my chair to hide from the sun. We all suffer for our craft... hahaha.



I hope they are enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment